Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Some Old Spaceship Models

Working on models of spacecraft modules this week reminded me that I once was actually quite into this kind of thing, so I dug out some old POV files of spacecraft models stored on an external harddrive from my childhood (the files, not the harddrive--that's only a few years old), and I had quite a lot of stuff saved that I had forgotten about. Apparently, I was at one point working on a model of a universal docking adapter, which I never finished:


My old spacecraft models have a number of other repeated components--engines, fuel tanks, etc.--but most of them do not have their own separate model files yet. A few which do include these rocket engine exhaust plumes:



And this RCS flywheel housing:


And it seems that I got most of the way through a decent recreation of the forest domes from the Valley Forge, from the old sci-fi film Silent Running:


And it seems I have one incomplete spacecraft design loosely based on the Valley Forge aesthetic:




And I've got a partial section of a spar intended for supporting a fission reactor, which I think was just an experiment in trying to get gold foil surface texturing to look right:


In terms of complete spacecraft models, the Minos is not fully detailed but it is a whole ship, which I used for TTRPG purposes in high school:



Here's a model of a rotating dumbell station, with the crew module at one end connected to a central airlock, and a counterweight for equipment:


Next we have a nuclear rocket design, with the engine markedly far away from the crew quarters and other ship components on a long spar:


A small asteroid tugboat:



Which is carried by a bussard ramjet:



And I played around a little bit with schematics for possibly slightly more realistic magscoops / magsails:



Here we have a large interstellar probe with instrument booms:


A gigantic tanker with three engines and a tiny little crew module up front:


And a final design vaguely modelled off the Orion concept, but not actually using an Orion pusher plate, which I called the Pilgrim:



The key feature of this last ship is the rotating passenger sections supported by cabling on winches, which swings and and out to keep the passenger modules aligned with apparent gravity as the ship switches between thrust and spin.

I've put all of these old models, my new tiling modules, and some other cruft that needs organizing, in a GitHub repository, so y'all can follow along as I clean stuff up and get those old components integrated into my new spacecraft design system.

No comments:

Post a Comment